Monday, February 15, 2010

DAY 36: Connected At the Belly Button

This is the second to last day of my challenge and with it comes a wonderful synchonization. This chapter was the realization that everything we do, every move we make, is in some small way affecting another. But growing up a twin, constantly either triangulating where she was - or having people compare us - I KNEW my actions were connected in some way to another person.

When I was younger it was simultaneously agrivating and comforting. I never felt alone, although I did sometimes feel left out. I can't imagine celebrating my birthday without sharing my cake - even mentally - with her. But I also get to share my hopes and dreams with her too.



However, even with a twin, who sometimes appeared to read my mind (we are a mean dream team when it comes to Pictionary), there were miscommunications. Misunderstandings. Fights. Patti writes, "There's a gap sometimes between what I think I'm indicating to the world and what is really being put out there by me." I see it happen between people of different cultures, between husbands and wives, co-workers.

Action: Write for three minutes on the question - Who was I when I was thirteen? Describe yourself in great detail. Now write for another 3 minutes on answering - Where did that kid go? What turns have I taken away from her (or him)?



For another 2 minutes write about the part that remains or what part you would like to reclaim. For the last 2 minutes write about the things you need to do in order to get back to that earlier part of yourself that you want to reclaim.

This was great, because I vividly remember that was when I was horse crazy. I spent 2 weeks in a tiny Texas town at a 4-H horse camp, running barrels with a Tennese Walker. He didn't corner well, but he kicked butt when we did the show part. (Tell me one horse that stands prettier than a Tennese Walker!)

I can proudly say that I have left the really shy and rather insecure parts of my 13 self behind and I have kept the adventurous and curious part. The part that likes to jump in the lake.



The Challenge: For the next 37 days, devote at least 10 minutes a day to creating your own vision, whether for wellness or work or marriage. Make it specific, make it compelling, make it your own. Then tell others about it so they can support you.

Well, one more day to go in my personal vision quest. But it's certainly not the end - it's the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment