Monday, February 1, 2010

DAY 20 - 25: Intimacy - Love More



More than half way through the challenge and this one hit me hard. The idea was to nurture yourself first, then others.

Imagine! You are so good at taking care of others first, that you forget to brush your own teeth, or eat lunch, or actually do something you enjoy. Women are especially suseptible to this kind of self-neglect. We are so good at running around saving everyone else, that we forget to save ourselves.

Patti's words:

Be selfish in order to be selfless.
So, I took it all to heart and didn't write another word.

I spent time with friends, watched t.v. at night with my sweetheart, and went to bed early. And I don't feel guilty - not one bit.

The week has flown by. And somehow I have done exactly what Patti's chapter title encouraged, 'Love More'. Namely:

Day 20: 1. Take 30 minutes for yourself - to be alone, to take care of yourself first. So you can take better care of others.

Day 21: 2. Don't make excuses for who you are - what you are. If you don't like something - change it - or own it. Be proud of everything you put in front of people.



Day 22: 3. Be open, connect with others. Give free hugs. Boost your quality of life. (This one is especially important because there isn't a lot of hugging in Germany. Friends don't embrace, they do air-kisses on each cheek. But I have realized that the physical embrace is vital for me. So I ask permission, and then I give - and receive - a hug!) You may already know it, but the video from Juan Mann is worth watching if you haven't seen it.



Day 23: 4. Be a writer, not a typer. (I hand wrote all of this before I transcribed it.) Write real letters to people you know in long hand. (I sent three birthday cards with long letters in them.) Surprise people.

Day 24: 5. Expand your capacity for love - and forgiveness. Think of 5 people who are unloveable - then love them in some small way. (It's not about them - it's about you.)



Day 25: 6. Let go - "surprise gravity" as Patti writes. And jump. We get in our own way when we think too much, instead of trusting our gut.
"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it's dark." - Zen proverb
This last day, was the beginning of a new chapter, actually, called "Intuition". I included it here because it's all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment