Saturday, January 30, 2010

DAY 19: Measure With a Magic Yardstick

I know it is a wacky title, but I couldn't help it. This section is where Patti brings out another 'i' word - Intimacy.

What's so great is that it starts with loving yourself. About not measuring yourself with how big your house is, how well your kids do in school, how much money you make. It is about loving yourself for what you are - not what you have.



The action: For 5 minutes write a description of yourself. Stop and cross it out. For another 3 minutes answer the same question without using anything from the first description. Read, repeat for another 3 minutes.

Did it get harder? Did you notice anything change about your description? I sure did!

The first 5 minutes was surface stuff. How I looked and a bit about my interests. The second free write was more about my personality and values. The last one was a mixture of big ideas that wouldn't help you find me in a crowded cafe, but it might help you decide if you wanted me as a coach.


It got down - deep down - into my values. Really important (sometimes very unconscious) issues and ideas that mattered in my life. The idea here is to find the things that matter to you so that you can set more realistic goals for yourself.

Thus the challenge: Write a list of 10 goals you have. For each one ask yourself what's behind it? At the end of the 37 days revisit the list. Are they still the goals you want? Recommit to the ones you still do and revise the others.

Learn to measure yourself against a magic yardstick, one that sings, "Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down..." and then you'll realize it was in your own power to do in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment