Wednesday, January 27, 2010

DAY 15: Don't Start "Here" - Start THERE

This chapter is titled "Roll on the Floor" in the book, which was about several groups of people competing to win the ownership (custody) of a dog (Rocky) from a shelter. The ultimate realization was that Rocky learned best from 3 goofy guys who got down on the ground and rolled around with him. They enjoyed him for who he was, went where he was - not where they wanted him to be.



The lesson is a great one for when we get frustrated with someone who isn't "getting it" - whatever we are trying to teach them or convince them of. Slow down, try giving them directions from where they are - not where you are.

The action: Focused free-write (have a writing callous like mine yet? We could compare...) for 6 minutes pretend you are writing an instruction manuel for someone who has no idea what it is like to get up in the morning. Describe every detail from opening your eyes, to rolling over to shut off the alarm - until you walk out the door (or consider yourself 'up').

Read it. Would it be possible for someone to do exactly what you do, to follow it, or are you still taking your individual actions for granted?



For the last 4 minutes answer: In what ways am I on autopilot in my life?

This one was pretty easy - or so I thought. But then I looked really closely. I realized that they couldn't do exactly what I do unless they lived in the same house. And since they don't (and most likely never will), I have to write it in a way that they could do what I am doing where THEY are. Then it hit. I get it. Clear, concise, concrete - like an IKEA instruction booklet.

THEN I get to draw pictures for even more clarity. (I am a big believer in visuals - thus so many images!)

The real learning is that I am on autopilot in a lot of ways. I try not to be. I try to pay attention, but I am so trained to multi-task, get lots done, many things simultaneously. It is admired in western culture. I can't hel- waaaaait a minute. That's a choice. And I get to make them.

Isn't that what I figured out yesterday?! Hey, I am catching on to this stuff! How about you?



The challenge: What we do every day is based on a pattern we no longer recognize. For the next 37 days, focus on the patterns in your life.

The challenge in the book is very detailed, but the one that struck me most was "listen intently for the rhythm for the next 37 days". It reminded me of a scene from one of my all-time favorite movies, August Rush. (Follow the link to see the clip of what I am talking about.)

After you watch it, I'll give you a dollar if you can swear that you did not have the urge to go outside and find patterns right then and there!

No comments:

Post a Comment