Thursday, January 28, 2010

DAY 16: A Right Foot and a Wrong Foot

Wow, I just learned something last night, before even encountering today. I AM on autopilot.

I got so into writing the blog and finding photos for it that I missed a skype date with my sister, a very important travel companion in my life. She asked, "What will it take for you to show up?" I began to wonder if that is a question that pertains to my whole life sometimes. So, my first lesson in focusing on the present was to reschedule my sister-date and get to bed.

Today's challenge...

Today, after a heavy snow, I am sitting with the idea of two rights. Not one right and one left, one black and the other white. Not - I'm right and you're wrong. Perhaps if we try, we can co-exist with the other "right" foot. It seems important to have one of each - a right and a left. My perspective (my reality) - and someone else's.

I often think that it would be an awfully boring world if we all agreed.



So does Patti. The action today: Write for 6 minutes on - How does it feel to be wrong about something? Then - think of a recent argument you've had. Write for 4 minutes framing the other person's perspective as right.

My learning: Actually, this is something I do a lot - I am a natural at empathizing with others. I try very hard to see things from another person's perspective. I get frustrated when they don't see mine. When I can't get them to see that maybe I am right too. Not them or me, but perhaps both of us. But then I realized it is just another form of trying to convince someone that you are right.

I began to wonder how it would be to argue with someone who has a different perspective, but goes a long. Let's there be a right foot and a left foot. Wouldn't that be an amazing dance? And THAT got me to think of having different perspectives and opinions as exactly that - a dance. Without the difference how could we really dance?

I assume that we wouldn't, thus the phrase, "I have two left feet" when it comes to describing one's ability to dance. It just doesn't work. You have to have the complement - the other.



The challenge: Write a list of ten everyday, common kitchen tools. For the next 37 days, chose one of these tools each morning. Come up with five alternative uses for that tool each time. Stretch your imagination! Ask others to help you. They may see possibilities you don't!

Result: I grabbed a rubber band - first thing at hand. Here's my list:
- string them together to create a bottle holder
- use to keep my sleeves up while I wash the dishes
- use many together to make a ball and use as a toy
- use it for target practice on annoying spiders in inconvenient places
- make it into a handle to carry splintery piece of wood

One last thought. The photo of this star fish also helped me see that having more than two perspectives can be even better. Starfish are beautiful, strong, unique. They don't have a right foot or a wrong foot. They have five or more!

Perhaps THIS is evolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment