Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 3: Driver or Passenger?

I thought today was all about living intensely, saying "yes" to those things that didn't seem practical or mature (though not at the expense of the planet or other people).

I thought it was about making choices. Do I make smart, mature, mediocre, boring, responsible choices?

Or do I make choices that make me giggle, give me a thrill, make me smile and will ultimately make this journey called LIFE more enjoyable?


But I realized it was both - and - neither!

Action: I was suppose to imagine I was driving a car down the street and write for 5 minutes about everything I saw in great detail. Then, I needed to switch positions, be the passenger in the car and write about what I saw for 5 minutes. After reading both what did I notice? (Try it - right now! You might be surprised. I was.)

Results:
Well, as it was a total of 10 minutes non-stop writing, the first result was a minor hand cramp. (I type more than I write, so I guess those muscles were sending me a sign.)

What I noticed (after the cramp went away) is that the driver has a lot of responsibility and needs to be sensible and aware of what is going on in front, behind, and the sides of the car. There's more tension and focus. A passenger (or at least ME as passenger) enjoys a more relaxed atmosphere, notices the beauty or scars of the landscape and quirky things like the horrible color of a particular house or how a lovely field of flowers has been recently dug up because it was made into a sledding hill. (In Germany they like to be prepared.)

Having said that, as passenger I don't get to decide how to react when a bus pulls out suddenly, but as the driver I see it coming several cars ahead and am already preparing my body to react. So, both positions have their advantages and disadvantages. What a surprise. I was prepared to pick one position over the other. But now I am not so sure!



Thoughts: This challenge reminded me of a friend here in Munich. We are not buddy buddy, but as we Americans often call people we know and like "friends", I am sticking with that label. Anyway, I couldn't help thinking of her because she currently lies in a hospital bed, ill from chemotherapy, and I realized she was the perfect example of someone who is a DRIVER in life.

Until now, she was not a passenger, simply watching the scenery go by, and letting others steer. Every time I saw her or heard about her, she was organizing, planning - DOING. And not necessarily stuff that she HAD to do, but fun stuff. Dinners, concerts, art shows, ski trips, cooking classes.

She is a FORCE, and her enthusiasm and energy for life rubs off on everyone around her. Yet, as she lies most uncomfortably in that bed, healing, having to be a passenger for the moment, I hope she is able to take the time to watch the scenery go by, and not worry about driving.

Part B Again, there's another step, if you want to take it. Patti suggests finding one small way to incorporate art into your life. While paying bills - decorate the envelop. Arrange the vegetables on your plate in circles. Etc. etc. etc.

What I did - I bought dark purple towels for the front bathroom. I know it sounds ordinary, simple - but for me it felt extravagant. Our entryway is red and the bathroom is a very plain shade of beige, so as not to clash. But when I saw these hand towels, I just knew they had to be in our front bathroom. Reminds me of the older ladies who walk around wearing the purple and red hats!

Conclusion: We have choices, make ones that add art, joy and surprise to life! For me, LIFE is an ART. Make it every day, in simple ways, and don't be so focused on driving that you don't see the scenery.




2 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff...when I look at my life, I realize that I have been in the passenger seat for a long time now - probably since I got married. Luckily, I have also started taking a more driving role in my own life and my husband is so supportive of the change. Like anything, finding that balance is the key, isn't it ?
    Love purple and red together by the way ! Pops so nicely !
    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read through your challengase the last three days...and...I like it! Wish you much more insights and fun during the next 34 days.
    Hug
    CARO

    ReplyDelete