Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 2: Cradle Wonder in Your Pocket(book)

Two days down, 35 more to go, and here's the second challenge - rediscover the wonder inherent in something that is apparently ordinary. A bar of soap, an animal track in the snow, the sound of a jet flying over head.

This assignment asked me to do several things.

First: Find my touchstone, talisman, small wonder - that which reminds me of finding wonder in the world, of sharing it with others.

Second: Take 10 minutes to create a tiny collage, drawing, or poem small enough to fit into my wallet representing what brings me joy.

Ok, the results were as follows:

Talisman - I carry a small silver ladybug in my wallet. Every time I change my purse or wallet, it comes too. I see it as a sort of good luck charm, a reminder of the importance of little things, how we are all connected, and how we are fragile. I've been finding real ladybugs in the house since Christmas. Must be extra little gifts from the Christmas tree.



I also discovered a second sort of talisman. I received him as a surprise gift for Christmas this year from dear friends in the U.S. This little guy won't fit in my pocket, but he squeaks when you squeeze him. He has been a constant source of surprise, wonder, and joy since I pulled him out of the box!


(Will you help me name him?)

My collage: This was easy, as I use a tool called VisualsSpeak which already has a lot of great images to use. Then I added things, objects and food, that bring me great joy. I had to include an image from Alaska and some excellent dark chocolate balls from a friend in Switzerland. I took a photo of it. I can't wait to print it out and stick it in my wallet!



Conclusion: I don't normally have a challenge incorporating creativity into my life, but just like everyone, I have those days that are gray, totally lacking in inspiration, wonder and, yes - intensity. I'm going to use my talisman and my photo as sort of match sticks to 'light my inner fire'. I'll keep you posted on how that works...

What's your talisman? I'd love to hear...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this one is fun for me to share...a little while back, my friend Patti Digh sent me a silver engraved bracelet in thanks for some love I had sent her way. The bracelet is engraved with the words "rock fairy" on the outside, and "you rock my world love patti" on the inside. Since I have received that bracelet, I wear it everyday, to remind me to shine my light so it can be seen by others and also to spread love in my world whenever I can. That bracelet has become my talisman.
    (If you would like to see the bracelet and see how excited I was when I received it, the story is here :http://queen-of-arts.blogspot.com/2009/09/some-gifts-for-today.html )
    That duck is sooo cute, by the way. I love his joyous face !He is sure to help brighten things up !
    Thanks so much for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete