Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 18: Jump Into the River - Chance Being Great

Be Great - not just good enough.

You are good. You are beautiful. You are smart. Give yourself permission.

These are the words that stuck with me for this challenge. The story (there's always a story) centered around how life is a fast moving river. Jump in, give into it, see where it takes you. Don't be worried about how others are seeing you - judging you. It's your river, it knows what you should be doing with your life.



The action: Write for 5 minutes to answer the question "When do you feel like an imposter? What do you fear people will find out about you?" Do the hot spot check and write for another five minutes on that topic.

Results: This was easy. Every time someone gives me a compliment, especially about how calm or organized I am, I try very hard to smile and say 'thank you' while in my head I am cringing and thinking, 'It's all a facade! Soon enough you will discover I am flailing, making mistakes, making it up as I go along!!'

And if I am making it up as I go along I must be a fraud. I am suppose to be a trainer, a coach. Shouldn't I have all the answers?!

Luckily, I realized that I don't have to have all the answers. I just have to be curious and willing to take a risk. It doesn't do me or others any good if I play small, mediocre, just ok. It doesn't serve the world.

I need to give myself permission to shine. To do what I am pretty sure in my gut is my purpose in life. That thought is incredibly empowering. The same goes for you too.



The challenge: Ask yourself "Am I becoming someone I respect?" for the next 37 days, every day at lunch. If you say no, you have the rest of the day to turn the answer around. As Patti writes, "This daily questioning is how change really occurs in our lives. Use it to become someone you respect, lunch by lunch."

And as a side note, there is an incredible resource at TED.com. I found an amazing piece on the rhythm in life there.

No comments:

Post a Comment